Tuesday, June 16, 2009

My Brother


I was born 10 days after my parents first wedding anniversary, 7 weeks premature. My brother, Dale was born five days before my first birthday. We were close, not just in age, but in heart. Growing up people thought we were twins. We went to a babysitter together before our brother Don was born when Dale was 3 and I was 4. I was just a toddler but I remember standing at the door watching our mom walk down the sidewalk. I still see myself standing at the door in my little rompersuit feeling alone. But Dale, my brother, he was there and we were together. I had to go to kindergarten when I was 5, ready or not. It was the first time in my life I remember not being able to stop crying. I was standing there waiting for the bus and I couldn't stop crying. My mom was trying to comfort me and there were other kids and they were excited, but me, I cried and cried, I wanted to go home. Going to school was better the next year because Dale and I were standing at the bus stop together. Life progressed, we had two more brothers, twins. The family moved to Oklahoma. Dale and I played and argued and did chores and grew up. He was proud of me, I was proud of him. When we moved to Midland I was a Junior in High School and Dale was a Sophomore. We were in the same Texas History class. He made an A without trying I made an A but I tried and tried and tried. We ate lunch together in the cafeteria. When I was 19 I moved up North. I rarely saw my brother, or the rest on my family for that matter after that and we didn't communicate much. But I've always known that he is there. I love my brother with all my heart. Our hearts are still joined, they always will be. Today is his birthday. We are so very blessed.

1 comment:

Pleasant Drive said...

I love your posts about your family members. I always read them and say, "Hey, Bri, did you know....."

Search This Blog