Saturday, May 30, 2009

My Sister, My Friend

My sister-in-law, Chery and I didn't have opportunities to spend time together much before 2006. We were together at family gatherings and such but there just wasn't an opportunity to really get to know each other. In the later part of 2005 they were needing to make a change and the oil industry was booming so her husband joined my husband in our consulting business. They bought a house, packed their things and moved here from Colorado. Chery's an RN so she went to work at the hospital before they even had a chance to unpack. Actually she painted the entire house before they unpacked. Chet was here and she cleaned baseboards and washed down cupboards, etc. I helped with paint colors, Chery chose a creamy taupe with an accent wall that looked like hot chocolate after the marshmallows melt. We were doing some re-decorating ourselves. Chery and I'd go from store to store shopping for furniture and accessories. She has an eye for what goes with what and just the right accessories and pictures. We carted things home and carted them back. One time we found the perfect accent chair for my master bedroom, it was silver. We loaded it up, brought it in the back door and set it in it's perfect spot. Mike saw it and thought it was hideous. So we loaded it up and carted it back. Just like the tree. We bought the most lovely artifical tree for my living room. Actually she bought one first for their living room only it was 8' tall and too close to the ceiling so she took it back. I loved it. We found one seven feet tall. I really hadn't seen a tree like this before, it had lots of long slender leaves, and it was just the right color green. Mike came home, hung bananas in it and said all we needed was a monkey. The tree actually stayed a couple of months until the furniture arrived. After the furniture arrived the tree had to go, not enough room. I think Chery has it in storage for when they build their new house. It was during all this that we started going to Rosa's for lunch and having Combination Nachos, no sour cream. We had a lot of fun whenever we were together. We made cheese and beef enchilada's for 8 and cooked Thanksgiving Dinner for 12. She brought over her dining room chairs so we'd have a chair for everyone. She ordered a chocolate decorated birthday cake and took me to lunch and gave me a gift card for my birthday. She brought me Combination Nachos when I fractured my foot and took me to the ER when I thought I had appendicitis. We bought hair care products on sale at Sally's and shared them, "Buy Two, Get One Free". We shared make-up and bought matching jammies. We looked at houses under construction and houses for sale. We'd sit out in front of the house and call the realtor and ask if they could show it right then, sometimes they could. Other times we'd make an appointment. When her Mom got sick I drove with her late at night the two hour drive to San Angelo and we stayed in the hospital room for two days. My sister-in-law became my sister. After her Mom passed away and we got her apartment cleaned out and things taken care of she gave me the most beautiful pair of ruby and diamond earrings, they were hers but they matched my wedding band and she wanted me to have them. Five months after the funeral Chery's husband decided he wanted to get to their property in Idaho before the leaves fell and winter set in and get the saw mill they had invested in established. They sold their house. Packed their things and left. I was broken-hearted and so was she. It was a special time for us for which I am very thankful. She visits and calls and it's like she never left but I miss her dear presence in our life. We are so very blessed.

No comments:

Search This Blog